Visa Requirements

Visa Application Process

Generally, JCBT students  must apply in advance for an entry visa.  We assist in obtaining two types of visas:  a tourist (B2) visa for the short-term programs (up to three months) and a student (A2) visa for the semester program.  There is one exception to this requirement.


However, Israel grants exemptions to obtaining a tourist visa in advance to visitors from certain countries.  They will automatically receive a B2 tourist visa, valid for three months, at their point of entry.  To check if this applies to you, click here  to view an Israeli pdf file of countries or go to this visa help website.  Students coming for any short-term program from these exempted countries can simply arrive prior to beginning studies.

All other applicants from non-exempted countries must apply for a tourist or student visa in advance with the help of JCBT.

JCBT then works with the Hebrew University to invite you to Israel for the course through applying at the Jerusalem office of the Ministry of Interior.  Once a visa is approved you will then be able to obtain the entry visa from the nearest Israeli Embassy or Consulate of your choice that you designated on your application.

For the the semester program, JCBT will assist all students from all countries to obtain the needed student (A2) visa through the Hebrew University.

This process can take up to 3 months; so it is important to begin early!

Upon acceptance to the Hebrew University program, a copy of their acceptance letter will be sent to you by an email attachment and post.  Be sure to provide a reliable email and postal address.  JCBT will also scan and email a copy of the acceptance letter to you as well.  When needed, JCBT will also provide a letter of guarantee and responsibility for students needing this. A copy of the Hebrew University acceptance letter should be kept with you for reference when traveling to Israel.

JCBT cannot guarantee a visa but has a track record of success once all the proper papers are in place – and with much prayer offered up.

Valid Passport is Needed

All visitors to Israel must hold a passport that is valid for at least six months after the date they will depart Israel with empty pages to receive visa stamps.  (Note: the student A2 entry visa fills up one full passport page and the follow-up residency visa takes up another full page.

Those with no nationality must hold a valid laissez passer, as well as a visa back to the country that issued it.
It may be important to note that for visitors to Israel now do not have a stamp placed in their passport at Ben Gurion; but instead small entry card.
As of 2008, Israel no longer requires all entry stamps be made in the foreign passport.  To keep your passport clean of an Israel stamp, you must fill out form 17L (which includes your personal details) and that form will be stamped by passport control upon entry and exit. The form 17L will not be collected upon exit as it is necessary for the collection of tax refunds and proof of legal entry.​​​​​

Documents Required for Visa Applicationvisa-application

We work with authorities in Jerusalem to assist in obtaining visas for JCBT students as needed.  It is essential that the Home for Bible Translators be given the needed personal information, forms, and pictures as requested in the Visa Entry Application Form.


Documents required by JCBT to help obtain an entry visa:

1.  Completed application information form (to be used by JCBT to fill out the official form).  It will be sent in your application packet or you can download the information form here.

2.  A passport valid for 6 months beyond the departure date of the  requested visa.

3.  One passport-size quality color photo sent to us as an email attachment.

4.  Payment. (JCBT will pay your visa fees.)

5.  Proof of health insurance coverage.  (JCBT will provide this through the Hebrew University)

6.  Information on the location of choice for the Israeli Consulate or Embassy you wish to use to issue your visa abroad.