Distinguished JCBT Faculty
serving Bible Translators and Consultants since 1995
Semester Course Instructors
- Natali Akun, Ph.D. Biblical Hebrew. (Ph.D. Hebrew University) Researcher, Hebrew Language Academy and Lecturer, Efrata College. Published author.
- Cyril Aslanov, Ph.D. Biblical Hebrew (Ph.D, Sorbonne, Paris and HDR) Professor of Hebrew and Romantic Languages, Hebrew University of Jerusalem. Extensive Publications.
- Rikki Bliboim, Ph.D. Hebrew Instructor, Rothberg International School, Hebrew University.
- Amnon Bruck, Ph.D. Biblical Hebrew (PhD. in Hebrew and Semitic Languages, Bar-Ilan University with certification to teach Hebrew as a second language. He founded an Ulpan at the Sofaer International MBA program at Tel Aviv University. Published author.
- Aaron Hornkohl. Ph.D. Discourse Analysis, Hebrew Tutoring and Hebrew Langauge Lectures. (BA, Biola University, M.A., Ph.D., Hebrew University of Jerusalem) Language Teaching Officer in Hebrew, Cambridge University. Instructor, Biblical Language Center. Published author, e.g in Encyclopedia of Hebrew Language and Linguistics (Brill, 2013).
- Randall Buth, Ph.D. Biblical Hebrew and Discourse Analysis (Ph.D.in Semitic Studies, UCLA) Director of the Biblical Language Center. Extensive publications.
- Danny Herman, MA. “Texts in Context” – Historical Geography and Context of the Bible. (M.A. Institute of Archaeology, Hebrew University of Jerusalem. Instructor in Archaeology at Hebrew University and at the Israel School of Tourism.
- Rafi Kassimov (Ph.D., Rabbi) “Texts in Context” – Historical Geography and Context of the Bible. Lecturer, Instructor of French Language and Literature, Hebrew University; Lecturer, Schechter Institute of Jewish Studies; Israeli Tour guide.
- Glenn Kerr, Ph.D. Discourse Analysis. Chief Translation Consultant for Bibles International. Adjunct Professor of Linguistics at Northland International University; Bible translation Consultant working primarily with in Francophone West and Central Africa.
- B. Brian Kvasnica, M.A.“Texts in Context” – Historical Geography and Context of the Bible. (M.A. Hebrew University of Jerusalem). Academic Director, Home for Bible Translators; Assistant Biblical Hebrew teacher at the Biblical Language Center; Director, Jerusalem Biblical Studies Society. Published “Parable of the Vineyard Tenants and Son” (in Jesus’ Last Week, Brill 2006) and “Early Jewish Historiography and Ethics of Plundering” in Writing and Reading War (SBL, 2008).
- Tania Notarius, Ph.D. Biblical Hebrew. Biblical Hebrew instructor at Rothberg International School, Hebrew University. Published author.
- Brian Schultz Ph.D. Historical Geography and Context of the Hebrew Bible. (BA. Briercrest Bible College, MA Jerusalem University College, Ph.D. Bar-Ilan University). Professor of Bible at Fresno University, California. Published author.
- Halvor Ronning, D.D. h.c. Co-Founder and Co-Director and instructor for Historical Geography and Context of the Bible. (B.A., St. Olaf College; B.D. Luther Seminary; M.A. from Yale University, D.D. h.c. University of California). Founding member of the Jerusalem School for Synoptic Research, Lecturer at Rothberg International School, Hebrew University, Published author.
- Smadar Barak, MA. Biblical Hebrew. Hebrew language instructor at Hebrew University. Former director of the Mazye Institute for the History of the Hebrew Language Revival.
- Gabriel Barkay, Ph.D. Archaeology of Jerusalem. B.A., M.A., The Hebrew University of Jerusalem; Ph.D., Tel Aviv University. Excavations in Lachish, Jerusalem, Megiddo, Tel Zayit, Susa (Iran) Faculty of Bar-Ilan University. Directed excavations at Ramat Rachel, Ketef Hinnom and currently director of the Temple Mount sifting project. Recipient of the Jerusalem Prize. Extensive publications.
- Petra Heldt, Ph.D. Historic Christianity. B.A., Frei Universitat, Berlin; M.Th., Kirchliche Hochschule, Berlin; Ph.D., The Hebrew University of Jerusalem. Executive Secretary of the Ecumenical Theological Research Fraternity in Israel. Director, The Thomas Oden Patristic Study Center. Ordained minister. Published author.
- Wayne Horowitz, Ph.D. Israel and Assyria. (PhD. Birmingham University) Archaeologist. Senior Lecturer at Hebrew University in Assyriology. Specializing in Sumerian and Akkadian writings to do with the structure of the cosmos.
- Ronit Maoz, MA. Biblical Agriculture. (MA, Bar Ilan University) Expert tour guide specializing in biblical agriculture.
- Ray Pritz, PhD. Lecturer on Realia and the Bible. (Ph.D. Hebrew University of Jerusalem) Former assignments include work at the Caspari Center for Biblical and Jewish Studies, director of the Bible Society in Israel, researcher in the Translations Department of the United Bible Societies preparing resource material for Bible translators. Doctoral dissertation was published jointly by Magnes Press and E.J. Brill under the title Nazarene Jewish Christianity(1988)
- Mirja Ronning, MA. Co-Founder and Co-Director and Biblical Hebrew. Mirja (Miriam), a Finnish citizen by birth, became a resident of Israel in 1949 and was educated in Hebrew since childhood. (BA from Concordia College, USA; graduate degrees from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem: Scientific Translation, Clinical Psychology, and an MA in The Bible and Its World. Mirja conducts an ongoing Bible translation project from Hebrew to Finnish and has published Genesis, Joel, Obadiah, and Ruth and recently completed Isaiah. She has taught Biblical Hebrew and Bible translation in academic settings in Jerusalem since the 1970s.
- Emmanuel Tov Ph.D. Masoretic Text and Bible Translation. Professor at the Hebrew University Bible Department. One of the editors of the Hebrew University Bible Project. On the editorial board of Dead Sea Discoveries. Won the Israel Prize in 2009 for Biblical Studies. Extensive publications.
- Inge Verschoor, M.A. Historical Geography – ‘Texts in Context’ (French) (MA, University of Texas, Arlington; MA, University of Leiden). Linguistic work in Africa and Israeli tour guide.
- Murray Salisbury, MA. Biblical Hebrew Poetry in its Contexts. Lecturer, Training Workshops and Seminars for Bible Translators and Consultants in many parts of the world; Adjunct Professor of Hebrew and OT Exegesis at the Handong Global University, Pohang, South Korea.
Professors for Bible Translation Exegesis Seminar
- Katharine Barnwell, Ph.D. (1x). (Ph.D., Linguistics, School of Oriental and African Studies and University College, University of London). Advisor to the Senior Vice President, The Seed Company (TSC), 2013– and Certified Senior Translation Consultant, SIL International, 2012–. Extensive Publications.
- Julie Bentinck, MA (3x) Translation Consultant in Africa, SIL – Summer Institute of Linguistics. Published Author.
- Bob Carter, MA (2x). (M.A., Hebrew Bible Translation, Jerusalem University College). Senior Translation Consultant, Seed Company 2010-, and Certified Senior Translation Consultant, SIL International, 2012–.
- Noah Lee Ph.D. (2x) Published Author.
- Dr. Krijn van der Jagt (1x) Senior Emeritus UBS Translation Consultant, United Bible Societies. Extensive Publications.
- Hanni Kuhn, MA (2x) Published Author.
- Murray Salisbury, MA (2x) Lecturer, Training Workshops and Seminars for Bible Translators and Consultants in many parts of the world; Adjunct Professor of Hebrew and OT Exegesis at the Handong Global University, Pohang, South Korea.
- Tim Wilt, Ph.D. (1x) (Ph.D. Michigan State University in Linguistics) Former Wycliffe Consultant in Africa and Assistant Professor, Middle Tennessee State University. Published author.
- Lynell Zogbo, Ph.D. (3x) UBS Translations Consultant; Lecturer, Faculte de Theologie Evangelique Alliance Chretienne (FATEAC); Adjunct Lecturer & Research Associate, University of the Free State; Editor UBS Handbook Series and Sycamore, a journal for Francophone translators. Published author.